PUNE: Governor K Sankaranarayanan, in his capacity as the Chancellor of public universities, has appointed Dr Wasudeo Gade as the 19th vice chancellor of the University of Pune, on Tuesday, after a delay of nearly eight months.
Dr Gade, who is the Director of Board for Colleges and University Development (BCUD0 of UoP, was amongst five shortlisted probables, who were interviewed by the Governor in Mumbai on Tuesday.
Professor and head of Physics department in the university, Prof Pandit Vidyasagar, deputy director of College of Engineering Pune, B B Ahuja, Pro-Vice chancellor of Swami Ramanand Teerth Marathwada University, Nanded, Dr Dilip Ukey and Prof Dr Rakesh Bhatnagar from Bio-Technology department at Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi, were the other four shortlisted candidates, who were in the race for the post of VC.
YASHADA director general Dr Sanjay Chahande has been officiating as the vice chancellor since September 15 last year following the resignation of then VC Dr R K Shevgaokar upon his selection as the director of IIT Delhi.
PROFILE OF NEW VC
Dr Wasudeo Namdeo Gade
Born: November 20, 1952
B.Sc. in Biology from Nagpur University, M.Sc. (Life Sciences), M.Phil.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences from the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
- Post-doctoral fellow in France and Sweden between 1988 and 1990.
- Recipient of Lupin Endowment Award
- Served as Scientist in the Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research in Delhi for nearly 20 years between 1983 and 2003.
- Was Reader and later Professor in the department of Biotechnology, University of Pune since July 2003.
Dr Wasudeo Gade is expected to take charge from officiating vice-chancellor Dr Sanjay Chahande on Wednesday.
Join Sakal Times on Facebook: